View Single Post
Old 06-23-2015, 07:19 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Sorry for my delayed reply- final exams this week.

Mark- thank you for your suggesting I finish this summer term. Prior to reading your message I had literally JUST decided to drop all my classes. Then, I saw your post, and decided to deal with it. I now have 2 exams left, then the semester's over.

Today has been a godawful day, as last night a large moth flew into the side of my head. It was a light bump. Immediately, my anxiety skyrocketed. I was doing great before this- I even began writing again, with no noticeable impairments. Now, my symptoms are back.

Is this to be the rest of my life? Is every mild head bump going to send me further and further into hell, until I'm simply a vegetable?

I should say that, in my prior concussion history, I never suffered an impact that caused immediate symptoms. Always, invariably, I would hit my head- usually a light-moderate head bump that wouldn't give your average person pause, but occasionally harder hits- then immediately assume I had a concussion. That's when the symptoms would begin.

This all began back in June of 2013. I bumped my head on a door frame while peering out my door- obsessively checking my backyard for intruders. I didn't feel any symptoms at first, but then I leapt to Google. I learned of hematomas, as well the symptoms of a concussion. Then I began to feel slightly dazed and foggy. It took me a week to recover after that.

Then, every time I would bump my head, I would experience symptoms, usually resolving with 48 hours cognitive/physical rest.

During the last period of true, consistent happiness & stability in my life- when I was with my ex- I experienced 2 hits to my head. One while I was exiting my car, another at work. The first caused symptoms, until she talked me out of it; the 2nd was by far the hardest hit to the head I've ever taken. A handheld drill spun out of control and into my forehead. I had no symptoms whatever. Remember, this after I already suffered several prior impacts.

Could my anxiety be playing a role here, given I have never had an impact that caused even so much as immediate disorientation/confusion? The fogginess always came later. Are these concussive or sub-concussive impacts?

I have decided, whatever be the problems with my head, I have severe psychiatric issues in desperate need of treatment. I try to be a mensch, and deal with the symptoms independently, and though I look fine, internally it feels as if I'm being eviscerated, constantly. I need help, and I'm going to seek it. Even when I'm not dealing with the symptoms of a head injury, whether they be real or perceived, I am in constant, excruciating anxiety- over mortal illness, experiencing another head injury, you name it.

The only thing that keeps me hanging on is (A) my family & friends, and (B) my hope of one day writing something great. With every head bump, every worsening of symptoms, the latter seems more and more a pipe dream. I cannot live while I am kept from accomplishing all I can.

Obviously these are issues that need to be discussed with a psychologist/psychiatrist, and aren't really suitable for forum talk, but I appreciate your feedback.
thomasm144 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote