View Single Post
Old 06-24-2015, 07:58 AM
Young Senior Elder Member

15 yr Member
Young Senior Elder Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelander View Post
I've been down that road and turned back temporarily. I have no issue with what anyone does with their own life. It's not mine and I have no idea what it's like for them and I can think of no better time for them to be selfish.

I have seen it from the other side with family and friends telling someone in deep deep distress that they are being crummy for being so selfish never realizing the amazing amount of selfishness it takes to demand that someone suffer greatly so you don't have to suffer a little.

A gun is such a messy way to effect relief as there are very gentle ways to accomplish things and it does leave things in better shape for family and friends.

You know suicides for the most part are not trying to hurt anyone they are trying to save their own sanity. They are in such physical and emotional pain that they can't stand being alive. What a horrible position to be in.

And I also don't agree with those that say it's the coward's way out. The night I sat down to do it was the most frightening night of my life. Something stopped me that night that was life changing for me but had that not happened I wonder if I would have had the courage. People not in pain may never be able to relate to those who have it. Due to that I usually disregard their opinions in favor of my own. I'm devastated that people get into so much pain that their only option is to end the suffering. I'm grateful, so very grateful we have such an option.

Having said that it's permanent so you better think hard and long.
Hi Icelander and welcome to the forum.

You sound like a very compassionate, intelligent and forgiving person.
Like Eva, I lost an only son to suicide, gun in mouth many years ago.

I believe we suffer differently depending on whether you are a child who has lost a parent to suicide or are a parent who loses a child that way.

I understand the difference and am watching and listening carefully to this surviving now man who believes that his father, my wonderful son, was a selfish coward.

Hugs for the room.

Alffe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
barbo (06-25-2015), bizi (06-24-2015), DejaVu (07-21-2015), eva5667faliure (06-24-2015), ger715 (06-24-2015), Wren (06-24-2015)