View Single Post
Old 06-24-2015, 05:46 PM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Default tired of empty promises

Where to start???? My whole life changed on Feb 9th, 2015. I fell on some ice and broke my ankle. Trimalleolar fracture with both bones fractured in 3+ places. On Feb 17th I had ORIF to fix the fractures but the ortho was not able to reconnect 2 bone fragments of my tibia because my bones were too thin. So I spent the next 8 weeks in bed on coumadin and then went to a boot that didn't fit because my foot was "stuck" in a pointing position. I was not able to flex my foot up at all. The ortho said that my achilles was just too tight and started me on PT to just stretch my achilles. I kinda knew then that there was something just not right. I told the ortho that I was having shooting pain across my foot and he just passed it off as "healing" pain. So I continued with PT and got my range of motion back with flexion and extension of my foot but was unable to move it from side to side. I was also having discoloration of my left foot along with quite a bit of swelling that only happened when I got up. My ortho started me on gabapentin (600 mg / 4x a day). I started taking pictures and documenting things, and it took till 16 weeks post op for him to really pay attention to what I was saying. I still was not able to put any weight on my left foot without incredible pain and the swelling and discoloration was still there. He diagnosed me with CRPS and referred me to a pain management. I started sympathetic nerve blocks in the hopes that I would be able to walk again. We scheduled my nerve blocks 2 weeks apart for a total of 12 weeks. My problem is that after I get the block, it takes away the pain and I can walk, but only for about 1 week. The discoloration is still there and the swelling is a bit better. Being able to walk for 1 week and then waiting for the rug to be pulled out from under me has been really frustrating, to say the least! PT has discharged me because they said that there is nothing else they can do for me without me being able to walk on my foot. I feel like these shots (which are painful to get) are just empty promises that I am going to be able to walk on this foot again. The medical bills are rising so fast that I am not sure how much more I can afford to pay for. My daughter is getting married in 16 days and I am wondering, will I be able to walk down the aisle or not. Does this ever stop? Everything you try, whether it is new medication, or injections, seem like they may help one part but never all of it. And it always comes back to not being able to walk..... The depression seems to be getting worse with every new attempt and being on neurological meds and pain meds is not an option when I want to drive and go back to work. Where do I go from here? Is anything worth it? It all seems like empty promises......
dcneedshelp is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote