View Single Post
Old 06-24-2015, 11:27 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi icelander

The fact that you're asking yourself questions and searching for answers shows you are on the path to healing and recovery. Many with similar stresses and experiences would not have the strength or awareness to know how or where to begin to look. The meditation and relaxation work you're doing towards relief can only be beneficial. I hope you get good results from them. I've never tried Qi Gong but used to do Tai Chi and found it great. Have read elsewhere that both are excellent forms of both mental and physical therapy.

As you probably know the causes of neuropathy are as numerous as the varying types. That you have a definite diagnosis of both small and large fibre means there could be a single cause or more than one. The pre-clinical diabetes is a place to start as it can be managed. As for stress itself being the cause - so far I haven't come across any info that states stress alone can cause neuropathy but as with any chronic condition stress can certainly aggravate it and prolong symptoms. Stress causes the adrenal glands to produce excess cortisol - a hormone that plays a major part in many functions of the body. The adrenal glands are part of the HPA axis (Hypothalmus, Pituitry, Adrenal). These glands message each other in response to body needs and functions and work in balance. Too much of one chemical messenger can throw the system out of whack.

Hope this makes some sense - trying to explain simply a complex process can get tricky. Please feel free to ask any questions. I'm not a medical professional but have personal experience with PN (probably autoimmune) and a 'whacky' HPA axis.
bluesfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EnglishDave (06-25-2015), eva5667faliure (06-25-2015), Littlepaw (06-29-2015)