View Single Post
Old 06-26-2015, 11:33 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Just checking in...

I have the "vintage Exercycle" and am loving it. 1932 design, with moving seat and handle bars, in addition to pedaling.

In my 20's & 30's I was an avid cyclist and would cover century (100 mile) rides for fun. Hills, hill climb, long distance cycling. I would get into the zone not even aware of my feet and just go. Toe straps so I could alternate pushing down or pulling up on the pedals to use different muscles. Typically 90 rpm speed.

The Exercycle has two speeds... slow (about 60 rpm) and fast (110 rpm, are they kidding?). My son, who doesn't own a car and cycles everywhere including to hit races commented that fast is near impossible, even for him.

Thankfully my exercycle has the optional PEP meter. So I can set up a 45 minute ride, 30 second duty cycle, and set level to "3". After five minutes I'm at 150 pbm (90% of target heart rate) and can keep in there with that 30 on/30 off duty cycle. Intense workout. When I stop, I can not walk. I need a few minutes of rubber legs to be steady again. Having a green light, meter to peg out, and the timer all help in my motivation to keep riding the full time. It is psychological if I am ready to quite.... meter says 8 minutes left... green light comes on and I GO like crazy for 30 seconds, knowing I get to coast next thirty.... then only 7 minutes to go....

Catch is initially, starting with shorter times and load levels, there wasn't much benefit. It was keeping on it for 3x a week, with interest 45 minute workouts that I feel much better after three months. It is like I burn up my dopamine riding, have 30 minutes after the ride of chicken legs, but next four hours are tremor free. So I can get other things, like machining done.

Couple this with stretch, mild work out, and weekly Parkinsons Movement classes and I am feeling great! So when I riding the exercycle I think back to my favorite rides in California, Europe, Ireland, and New Zealand. Yes, even made it up the switch backs at Cliffs of Moher.

I'd love a three wheel catrike bicycle, but for the time being the Exercycle is helping.
TexasTom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote