View Single Post
Old 06-27-2015, 07:23 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Molly...I re read your first post in this thread. Years ago I was on a lot of prednisone and gained about twenty five pounds. I was beside myself. In my particular case, when I got better, I was able to lower the dosage and stayed on top of the doctor lowering the med every chance I got. I got on another med at some point that wasn't such a big issue in terms of weight gain. I also took a mild diuretic for a short time.

Ironically, even though this was a long time ago, I ended up doing very much the same diet I've described in my other post. Again, hard as heck. I recall drinking a lot of water and being diligent about not eating anything salty, sugary and avoided flour. (These days I've eliminated flour).

I know Topamax instead of other meds in it's class can be helpful. I think that is definitely something to ask the doctor about. Even if you can only make a partial switch...every little bit helps.

You might consider doing something like Weight Watchers, but since you have medication and health issues, I know from experience that weight loss is stubborn and for me this meant little to NO sugar or flour items. To be more specific, WW does not advocate a great reduction ...practically eliminating sugar and flour. But, I have found that when we have a lot going against us due to meds, etc., eliminating certain things, especially flour and sugar, might be necessary. Not everyone "gets" this unless they've been in the thick of things. A person can still do WW and just chose to tweak it by not eating those things. But weight Watchers does offer support and accountability....which is great!

And coming here, hopefully is helpful as well. I do find support of any kind very helpful.

Wishing you strength and success.
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (06-27-2015), DejaVu (08-30-2015)