View Single Post
Old 06-27-2015, 11:52 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi eyanosa,

It is important for you to realize that the infection has not "cleared" up yet. The antibiotics will help and the removal of the infected teeth will also help, but the health your immune system has a lot to do with how quickly the infection clears out of your system. Removing the source of the infection was the first step and anything you do at this point forward will positively or negatively affect the health of your immune system. So it is wise to eat healthfully, avoid processed foods, soda, and sugar as all of these things will slow down the functions of your immune system. Whole fresh foods, lots of water and elimination of unhealthy food sources is key to ramping up your immune system.

Avoid applying any chemicals to your gum tissue as these things will interfere with the healing cells that are sent from the immune system. So avoid anbesol, mouthwash, regular tooth paste and any other chemical laden topicals like that. Rinse with warm salt water 3-4 times a day and use a gentle herb based toothpaste or just coconut oil on your tooth brush to clean your other teeth with.

Are you wearing temporary partial dentures? Are they rubbing against the surgical wounds?

Pain for the first week or two would be expected due to the extensive oral surgery that you have had done. The dentist may have also shaved down some of the bone which will cause additional pain in those areas. However, it would be best to see the oral surgeon who extracted your teeth to rule out further infection, dry sockets or impacted food debris.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Please check back when you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyanosa View Post
Hopefully someone here can tell me what is going on. On 6/23 I had a lot of extractions done (Beginning with upper left, Second molar to upper right first bicuspid (upper right canine is impacted in roof of mouth so left alone) and from lower left second molar to lower left canine (wisdom teeth were removed decades ago)). This is actually just my first trip for extractions as all my teeth need to be removed due to extreme infection (which has cleared up thanks to current extractions and course of AB). However, the problem I am having is pain. I would think of this pain like that of dry socket, but all clots are intact and healing. So, due to that, I have no clue if what I am experiencing is normal or not.

On the 3rd day after the extractions, I started to feel a lot of pain coming from my upper gums. The area is from canine to canine and right below the nose. The pain seems to keep getting worse as time goes on (which is why I first thought dry socket) and nothing I do works. I was originally prescribed 5mg perco, and that worked (well, as long as I took 2 of them, or one of them with a fioricet) but now that I am out of them, I can't seem to find anything else to ease the pain. I have tried tylenol (650mg tabs), Aleve, 60mg of codeine sulfate, fioricet (50/325/40), and even nabumetone (750mg) (I avoided having both aleve and the nabu in my system at the same time as both are nsaids). Unfortunately, the pain continues. I have even tried maximum strength ambasol, which only helps for about 5-10 minutes.

Anyways, my main question is if this is usual. Is it just because of the location of the extractions in that area? Could there be some other problem causing this? Also, since this is the weekend, is there any other type of OTC med that I could try (I have full tolerance to ibuprofen)? Any and all timely help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote