Thread: Tarlov cysts
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2015, 10:11 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telvaker View Post
How r u doing? I am very thankful to be a candidate for surgery. I talked with my insurance and was surprised when they told me dr. F is in network for me, what a blessing. I talked to his office on Tuesday and relayed this to them knowing that they will not schedule without insurance written preauthorization which I understand. Like everyone, just hoping to get approved and scheduled sooner rather than later. Our daughter fed married the end of October and honestly would like this done before then.
How r people's recovery times? I understand we r all different but just wondering how people felt after the surgery in general.
Maybe I felt he was flip because he deals with this stuff everyday and to me it was so stressful. I'm not usually a nervous person but I was nervous and maybe a little sensitive.
How are things going for you? Are people who've had the surgery glad they had the surgery?
Hi, hope you got the pm I sent you. Recovery times are long and people can vary widely and fluctuate in their recovery. Dr F says up to 1-2 years of recovery on average. It's also vital to be very cautious about increasing activity. Anything that even gives a twing, don't be tempted to do it. I think my first month went uncommonly well because I was crazy careful. I kept my back straight and the weight off the area as much as I could with a mountain of pillows literally like a bridge between my knees and my mid back.

Then some things happened that set me back in recovery. I am only saying the following as a warning. Make sure Dr. Feigenbaum's office follows your pain care. My post op meds got cut off prematurely by a pain doc who had no clue about the surgery, and when some things happened forcing me to move more than I should have, I got worse. That included being tricked into going too far by well meaning but misguided people who thought I needed exercise, despite being clear to them about Dr. Feigenbaum's instructions for no PT and activity increase only as tolerated. Without adequate pain control I cycled into uncontrollable spasms and then my RA decided to act up.

Right now it's gotten a bit rough like it was before surgery with an unrelenting RA flare on top. Have a much better pain doc who is following Dr. Feigenbaum's guidelines, but my RA flare and spasms just won't quit.

I'm still very glad I got the surgery. Before surgery, I was having all sorts of spasms and quickly losing use of my legs. I figure without surgery, the cysts would have led to full leg paralysis before long. As it is, I'm not sure how much I will regain. For over three years, I was told to "wait and see" while things kept getting worse, because part of it was assumed to be from the massive hematoma I had. At least now I know it shouldn't progress more than it was before surgery.

In retrospect, I wish I could have had everything done sooner. C'est last vie.
Tomatogirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote