View Single Post
Old 06-28-2015, 12:14 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by king6955 View Post
What setting was she programmed to during surgery? What settings was it changed to? And what were her symptoms after the changes. I feel most comfortable when I'm laying down.
Well, last revision was nearly three years ago. The revision gave her some extra room to go up on a programmable valve by putting it in series with a low flow valve (anti siphon device wasn't enough). She was set to equivalent of 18cm or 17cm at that time. She's now maybe equivalent to 28cm so she's gone up a lot, there are just a few notches left before she hits the top setting. If you need 28cm, your codman runs out at 20cm so they will have to revise you with an alternate system that could include a codman with another valve or something else. Strata goes to ~25cm ish - bit different, my kid did poorly on that valve because at the time (7 years ago) she needed 3cm and it didn't go low enough. Don't recall osv range or any other common valves. 28cm is pretty high so it requires they really consider what you'll need.

Which reminds me of the other thing to pay attention to. If you are siphoning, lying down will help. If you don't have an antisiphon device, you may need one. And there are people who may need something more but valves in series which my child likes are probably not comfy for a lot of people, i.e. ymmv.

So when the codman plus asd stopped being enough, we couldn't find a good setting (we tried many settings). Generally when the system is good one, we've seen the classic over draining symptoms and raising the setting was enough for a while. Over draining eventually returns and we go up again, wash rinse repeat. My kid has had slit ventricles for years (except in May - her ventricles were not slit on an MRI, were small again two weeks later, that was just weird) and she has always had low compliance. Slit ventricles don't really happen with people shunted in adulthood.

Last edited by pogo; 06-28-2015 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Adding more...
pogo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote