View Single Post
Old 06-28-2015, 10:15 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowNothingJon View Post
My numbers getting better have not translated to any improvement in symptoms.
I know I'm speaking the obvious here, but at least you're doing what you need to to prevent further damage. And maybe with more time, you'll start to see improvement.

I found this really good blog article that seems to summarize well what I've read all over the place. I'm excerpting the sections of real importance (with permission by the author):

http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2...ou-can-do.html

"Everything changes when you define "tight control" to mean "Maintaining post-meal blood sugars below the level where neuropathy begins." That level turns out to be 140 mg/dl (7.7 mmol/L). Lower your blood sugar to this level, meal after meal, and your nerves sill start to heal.

This is a good 40 mg/dl lower than the dangerously high 180 mg/dl two hours after eating which the ADA officially defines as "tight control." And when you bring your blood sugars down below 140 mg/dl and keep them there for a few months, your feet will get better. "

"The take-away lesson here is this: It is post meal blood sugars that cause neuropathy. People can get identical A1cs with very different post meal blood sugars which is probably why the research finds there is no clear correlation between A1c and the presence of neuropathy, especially when A1c is below 8%.

Your fasting blood sugar, which is the only blood sugar many out-of-date doctors monitor, is also worthless in evaluating your neuropathy risk, because it is possible to have extremely high post meal blood sugars and completely normal fasting blood sugars. I did that myself years ago when I had fasting blood sugars of 98 mg/dl and post meal blood sugars at every meal over 250 mg/dl.

This 140 mg/dl post meal blood sugar target is very mainstream--the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists has been recommending it for five years now and I have heard rumors that some of that organization's members would like to see it lowered even further. "

Last edited by janieg; 06-28-2015 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Permission received to quote content
janieg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bluesfan (06-28-2015)