View Single Post
Old 06-28-2015, 02:14 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistiis View Post
I'm putting this out there for advice and helpful thoughts. I have a very good friend with a painful chronic illness who has been through losing family, business, and friends. Many times this friend cannot find a reason to live or to go on. This friend is very intelligent and a very rational and logical thinker. Lately my friend has been wanting to own a gun simply because this friend thinks it will give him/her an option when him/her feels like there are no others. I understand these feelings on an emotional level. Any thoughts or helpful hints on how to deal with this would be appreciated. And, yes, I have refused to own a gun because I fully understand the implications having held one more than once myself. BTW when this friend thinks about suicide it is in a totally rational and logical way. And, yes, I have pointed out what it would do this friend's family. Thanks my good and dear friends. Please feel free to send me pm's if you feel better communicating on that level. If you feel you have no answers that's ok as well. I realize how difficult a subject this is.
I would not dare attempt to speak for anyone else, as this is purely a personal thing, but Im afraid that if your friend is in such pain that they are hell bent on ending their life then sadly there is very little you can do other than be there as a shoulder to lean on & hope that is enough from day to day. I am in your friends situation where a cycling related injury has taken me from a very fit active man into an empty vessel who thinks about suicide on a daily basis. I care about what it would do to my close family & friends, & that has stopped an attempt on more than one occasion, but ultimately, suicide for me would bring the relief that I have not felt for a few years. Fear along with a failed attempt has kept me in the position of waiting to find out if surgery will help my position, but I know for certain, that personally, I can not live the rest of my life like 'this'. In this situation, there are many friends & family members who help me, sometimes simply by talking to me via phone message. There are a couple who come to me for advice & I like that. Being a shoulder to lean on myself, helps keep us both upright... Apologies, that was the long way of saying that all you can do is listen, communicate & simply be there for them & hope that is enough... I wish you & your friend the very best...
Alffe (06-28-2015), barbo (06-30-2015), bizi (06-28-2015), DejaVu (07-21-2015), eva5667faliure (06-28-2015), Wren (06-28-2015)