View Single Post
Old 06-28-2015, 09:07 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

eyanosa,

Brushing your remaining teeth will decrease the amount of food debris on those teeth. Which is very important because food debris rots on the teeth and turns in a bacteria that contributes to infection. So it is imperative to brush your teeth. It is also best to have a clean mouth when you have the rest of your teeth removed ... the less plaque there is the cleaner the surgery will be.

You really should have tried to call your dentist over the weekend. Every dentist has to be on call 24 hours a day and if they are away they have to have another dentist on call for them 24 hours a day. That is the law, irrelevant of where you live and I'm sure he would have gotten back to you.

Regarding the antibiotic... amoxicillin and clindaymcin are both effective in dealing with dental infections even when they are in the jaw bone. Sometimes the species of bacteria causing the infection are resistant to certain antibiotics. So in those cases a different antibiotic needs to be prescribed. If that is your particular case, your dentist would not have known that when he prescribed amoxicillin.

I hope you start to feel better soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyanosa View Post
Hmm, I cannot edit my post, so sorry about double posting.

I almost forgot to reply to one thing you said. Regarding brushing my teeth, it does not matter if they get plaque or not because they are coming out this week as well.

As for the infection, the pain got so bad this morning that I was forced to go to the emergency room at 2am. They ended up prescribing me a 10 day (3 a day) supply of clindamycin. They agreed that the dentist should have given that to begin with instead of the amoxicilin because the infection is in the bone, something amoxicilin cannot penetrate very well.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote