View Single Post
Old 06-29-2015, 01:43 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

About the ADA guidelines..............

Just my personal vent. I am not sure how the American Diabetes Association has determined their guidelines and why they change them at times, but, for ME..... I would like my numbers to be "lower" than their guidelines.

I have my own goals which are a little bit lower than the ADA's numbers but it is MY eyesight, MY kidneys, MY limbs, MY pain and suffering that is of more concern to me.

I feel that MY goals are not only realistic goals, but reduce the risks of diabetic complications a little more than those suggested by the ADA.

I do not expect to have "normal" numbers that would equate to those of a non-diabetic, but I would definitely prefer to have an A1C level at 6.5 or below rather than the 7.0 depicted in the ADA guidelines.

At the moment, not meeting either goal levels, but this is a temporary situation.

I heard they are raising their guidelines for fasting blood glucose levels.

Their numbers (guidelines) do not eliminate the complication risks. They do not suffer the consequences.

I am aware that attempting to lower one's numbers too much can also be detrimental so I am setting goals that are lower than the ADA's diabetic guidelines but also realistic for myself.

Some diabetics feel they are "safe" from diabetic complications if they meet the ADA's guidelines and I think that is a false assumption on the part of many patients.

Just MY opinion. May not be the right one for others.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EnglishDave (06-29-2015), madisongrrl (06-29-2015)