View Single Post
Old 06-30-2015, 04:02 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
But, regarding speed bumps, It helps to lean forward a bit and take your shoulders off the seat back as you go over the speed bump. Much of the vertical force is transmitted through the back of your shoulders. By keeping your shoulders off the seat back, you can minimize this force. Plus, if you roll your shoulders and head and neck forward a bit, the curve in your upper back is better able to absorb these forces.
I had that suspicion before for sure. For example I have seen bodybuilder types with apparently strong looking necks get knocked out fairly easy. You would think with such big muscular neck they could take a punch better but this puts this all in question.

And it's funny that you should mention how to absorb or prepare for a bump in the road while driving. I was in the passenger seat recently and the driver completely didn't see a huge speed bump. I gave the heads up about it but we went through the bump at about 25 mph or so. I instinctively did what you described I moved my upper body forward away from the backrest and this did take from the impact.
bobbyr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote