View Single Post
Old 07-01-2015, 03:56 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Chemo Induced Peripheral Neuropathy

I had some very mild neuropathy in one foot that manifested itself in very cold weather in January 2014. I was diagnosed with colon cancer in March 2014 and had a surgical resection in May 2014. Since I was a Stage 2 patient I more or less had the choice of chemo or no chemo. Since there is no "right answer" I chose to go the oral chemo route with the generic form of Xeloda. By the 3rd round I was having a side effect known as "hand-foot" syndrome with is fairly common. After a dose reduction I finished 8 rounds even though I was having pain in my hands and feet but the more serious symptoms of HFS had subsided. I am now 6 months out from my last chemo round and I am still having significant pain in my feet (hands are sort of manageable). To get some relief I am taking Gabapentin and using a compounded cream of Baclofen 5% / Amitriptyline HCL 2% / Ketamine HCL 5% in Lipoderm which works very well for a few hours. I have also begun Anodyne therapy hopeful that this will provide an additional long term solution. Has anyone else experienced CIPN and eventually recovered?
carolinabluetec is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote