View Single Post
Old 07-02-2015, 03:53 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Anyone "cured" of TOS?

I was trying to spare everyone the details, but:

There is usually mild neck/arm pain 3/10, more of a fullness and tingling in the arm, but at the end of a long day at work, I usually start to get some weakness in my hand. If I work a regular week, my arm will get swollen, moderately painful, weak, and takes 3 days to get back to baseline. No history of whiplash or RSI.

Currently, I am back to working 3 days a week after taking 2 months off, but it has been difficult. I get the feeling that I "flare" myself up at work, and then try to play catch-up on my days off by doing Edgelow PT. TOS is certainly related to and exacerbated by work, but hard to say exactly what "causes" it since doing things around the house can also make the TOS worse.

The conventional PT that I tried was one size fits all and did not work.

The Edgelow PT program is the only thing that has worked so far - the breathing and other parts of the "Core" Program do help calm down the arm and provide relief. I have not yet gotten to the "Progressions," which focus on retraining posture and reshaping the spine and chest, with the ultimate goal of opening the thoracic outlet and decreasing nerve compression.

I am really trying to get some idea of what the range of long-term outcomes is. I.e. financially speaking, if the best that I can expect is a long slow decline in function, then we might have to make different financial decisions than if there is reasonable hope of maintaining a 3 day/week schedule or possibly getting back to normal work. My job has a little computer work, but lots of hand/arm task work, and does get stressful at time.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
chtam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote