View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 01:09 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Chiari malformation and attention deficit disorder

Both my son and I have had cervical decompression surgery for Chiari I malformations and syringomyelia. Shortly after his surgery at age 8, my son developed symptoms of ADD. There is a strong history on his dad's side (grandfather, father, brother and 2 sisters) and I have always just assumed that it was in his genes. Today I read a reference to ADD and cervical abnormalities. It has always bothered me a little that his school performance fell dramatically after the surgery, but since the neurosurgery didn't involve his cerebral cortex and there was no anoxia (lack of oxygen) I couldn't see a cause. His procedure involved an incision in the back of his neck, an enlargement of the foramen magnum (opening in the skull) and duraplasty (adding cadaver spinal cord covering to upper cord. He also had a laminectomy (removal of the back of the verterbrae) at the first cervical level. Today I read a couple of chiropractic case reports of boys with abnormal cervical spines and ADD and Tourette's syndrome. Does anyone have any experience with this?
daisy1959 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (11-27-2009)