View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 02:41 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default PD Tremor dominant

For those of you who may be tremor dominant...or, even just those whose symptoms include a tremor...I would appreciate some input as to what medications seem to work best for you. I realize that this is an individualized disease...that no two people respond in the same way to the various medications...but, I feel that there just may be something that you might say that could be of help to me and my pwp. She has been dx'd for approximately 10 years and, until very recently, has been able to control the tremor with medication(s). Initially, she took Mirapex which proved to be a very good medication for her in all respects...alleviated the tremor...in fact, eliminated it...BUT, she developed the obsessive/compulsive side effect experienced by some so that her neurologist titrated her off Mirapex. She had been taking it at, what I believe, is the maximum dosage, i.e., 4.5mg. daily. Her neurologist then prescribed Sinemet (25/100 mg. 3 times daily) which "worked" fairly well to control the tremor, but eventually resulted in the unwanted side effect of dyskinesia. She had also been taking Comtan along with the Sinemet to try to increase the "on time". Currently, her neurologist is attempting to "find" a good regimen of medications (i.e., if there is such a thing), and Doreen is now taking 1/2 pill less of the Sinemet (which eliminated the dyskinesia), but the tremor has become more pronounced...to the point where she got absolutely no relief from the tremor at all for about 3-4 days last week. This was frightening for her...to think that nothing seemed to be working to relieve the tremor. I should mention that, in attempting to find a good regimen of "meds", her neurologist had added, a short while ago, low doses of both Cogentin and Parlodel (I believe this is within the "family" of agonists)...all very low dosages of all her medications. His goal is to eliminate as many of these medications as possible once he is able to detemine what "works" best for Doreen...he agrees that she is taking too many medications. My own feeling is that she is taking so many medications that it seems it would be very difficult to know exactly "what's doing what"...and all the medications are at such a low dose. I realize that her neurologist does not like titrating up quickly...but, I am at a loss as to what his strategy might be with all this. We will see him at the end of this month and I thought if I could glean any information from people, here, that I might present to him, I would like to do that. He is very open to suggestions...not a "haughty kind of guy" at all...and so intent on helping his patients...always allowing Doreen to be an active participant in her care so that any suggestions that I may "bring" to the next visit will be given consideration. I apologize for the length of this post...even for the somewhat disjointed/disconnected presentation of my thoughts. If you are able to decipher/discern these thoughts and have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thank you...
Therese
Virginia Therese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Arsene (12-15-2016)