View Single Post
Old 07-06-2015, 08:28 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Athletic Thoracic Outlet syndrome/scapular winging/ shoulder impingement

Hi guys,

I'm new here, never started a thread before, but I'm looking for some guidance. Okay here goes, so 3 years ago after starting university I developed this horrible ache in my shoulder, I had a single strap bag that I would carry all my books in and would constantly sit at my desk hunched over to study. I also was doing a rigorous weight training program with no real guidance (I was 18 and didn't know it was possible to be hurt). The combination of these things are what I believe pushed me into this situation. Over the last three years I have had highs and lows ranging from absolutely crippled to just a slight itch/pain in my left shoulder.

My symptoms are (both arms but way worse in left):

-dull aching pain in my left shoulder that has made me strongly consider cutting off my arm
-pins and needles only while sleeping in some positions
-terrible pulling feeling from my neck, through my shoulders, under my bicep, and into my fingers whenever I hold my arm out at my sides (adduction)
-Scapular winging or S.I.C.K scapula which can be determined by its resting position or prominence of the inside edge of the scapula sticking out both at rest and with movement. (As diagnosed by PT and orthopedic surgeon)
- severe scapular depression
- popping clunking and crunching from my shoulders, neck, and scapula

As far as tests go I have had
-neck MRI (normal)
-nerve conduction study at rest (normal)
- shoulder MRI of only the left side (tendonosis of the supraspinatus, mild inflammation of the subacromial bursa, and labral cysts associated with a small labral tear. These symptoms are commonly found in those with shoulder impingement syndrome)

Okay so my question is this:

Could my scapular winginging be the cause of all this? Or is it a symptom of a problem in my neck or something (i question this because my neck MRI was normal). Has anybody else had similar discomfort coupled with scapular winging? How about shoulder impingement, could that be caused by winging? If so what are some things I can do to help this? I already do upward rotation shrugs to improve my depressed scaps and wall slides for my serratus To improve scap position. What else can I do? Am I attacking this the right way? If you guys direct me toward articles and other threads I would really appreciate it, I would also love to hear your stories. I sometimes forget what its like to feel completely normal, there are good days and bad days. I appreciate any input you guys, thanks.
jzp119 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote