View Single Post
Old 07-07-2015, 08:46 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi caroline,

Thank you for sharing this informative article and your personal dental history! I also utilize natural plant based and therapeutic substances for my oral care and avoid the chemically derived products that are typically recommended by dentists. As you know it takes a bit of effort to make our own toothpaste, etc as compared to just buying a tube of something. But I agree with you that the benefits are so well worth the effort!

The about consuming sticky food such as raisins is that they may not be a wise food choice for people who have deep grooves called pits and fissures in the biting surfaces of their teeth. Sticky foods like raisins do get caught in those fissures and do not break down as easily as the article stated because the depth of the fissures can cause the raisins to get caught in them resulting in a slower break down rate. Since most people do not brush their teeth after they have eaten sticky foods and/or because sticky foods can be difficult to brush out of deep fissures, the raisins will sit in those crevices long enough to become cariogenic. So for that reason, even many holistic dentists will tell patients to avoid sticky foods such as raisins.

I also agree with you about fluoride in that avoiding it as much as possible is probably a healthy thing to do. Fluoride is actually a toxic product made from the collection of waste from air pollution devices in the phosphate fertilizer industry. Fluoride is a known endocrine disruptor and it can negatively affect bones, brain, thyroid and even blood sugar levels. There is some minimal evidence that it can help prevent tooth decay in certain circumstances, however the indisputable health risks of using fluoride outweigh the minimal benefits. This is why products that contain fluoride carry a poison warning on the label.

Using therapeutic medicaments rather than chemical laden ones is certainly helpful in reducing the incidence of cavities and gum disease. However, they cannot take the place of proper nutrition. The real value to having and maintaining good oral health comes from the elimination of non-nutritive processed foods, sugar/artificial sugar substitutes and avoid the over consumption of starchy foods as all of these will alter the pH of the saliva contributing to acid forming bacteria called plaque. Even people with the worst family history regarding dental health, can have little to no dental problems if they eat nutritiously and maintain good oral hygiene.

Caroline, keep up the good oral hygiene and thanks again for sharing )

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline2 View Post
I find this group of articles so fascinating and keep thinking the longer I'm living, the more I find out about the VALUE of OPC's (grape seed ex, pycnogenol and resveratrol). I'm headed into 20th yr on these first two mentioned above.

This major link has many side articles to the right and a lot of discussion about raisins for one. And how many have believed they are too sugary for our teeth, I was one of them, but I believe more and more in moderation they are very good.

I had deep pockets back in 80's and did nothing but once I got on OPC's in 1995, they are history. My gums are tight and for the last 10+ yrs no dental issues...but believe me, I had issues and dental work in my life.

I work to use the cleanest type dental toothpastes as I believe there are so many negative ingredients in commercial toothpastes, sweeteners and other chemical preservatives. I make up my own with a coconut oil base and add MSM, grape seed powder, clove oil, myrrh oil. I buy a couple others that I've worked with over the years, like Vicco which is an ayurvedic herbal TP.

I absolutely avoid "fluoride" as much as I humanly can.

I hope Bryanna will comment on this info. I find it absolutely informative and I'm a layman but one who has been taking OPC's for almost 2 decades:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2728698/

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote