View Single Post
Old 07-07-2015, 10:43 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Startle response is a short term event. Something that might have been a "Oh, that was a surprise" reaction instead causes an adrenaline rush reaction with a tightening of muscles, especially in the chest. This adrenaline rush can be a bit overpowering and cause an increase in blood pressure and pulse. It should subside in a short time, a half hour or so. For some, it tends to be self perpetuating as the original anxiety that should have been over in just minutes causes new anxieties of "What did I do to myself ? Why do I feel this way ? Did I injure my head ? "

The important issue is to not let a simple startle morph into a major anxiety reaction. This requires us to identify the stimulation as the benign stimulation that it is. Going through a thought process of "Wow, that was a rush." "I'm glad that is OVER." etc. can allow us to put an end to the event. But consciously putting an end to the event, hopefully, we can prevent any ruminating to cause the short term anxiety from becoming a long term event.

We each have to find our own system for resolving these startles. Some deep breaths with a thought that settles our racing thoughts will help.

I get these startles frequently such as seeing a quick dramatic event on a TV show. My chest tightens and I get a tingling feeling. I recognize it and let it go.

My best tp you.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote