View Single Post
Old 07-08-2015, 02:15 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default S.O.S. Trojan virus or 'False Positive'?

Hi All

Bit panicky here - will try and keep it short.
Laptop with Windows 7, Running AVG free version as main scheduled antivirus with Malwarebytes as alternative. Last 3 days AVG has started reporting IRP Hook Rootkit Trojan (9 entries). Run removal each time but next day same IRP Hook files reappear.

Have searched online etc for how to fix. Come up with varying info: either these are false positives generated by AVG or a problem with driver, or a really nasty, potentially system destroying Trojan. If latter the fixes are very complex and don't always seem successful and how do you trust that those suggesting the fixes are above board.

So thought I'd ask here as you folk haven't steered me wrong yet. So if any one has any recommendations of sites they know can be trusted or suggestions it would be appreciated.

I know I could take it to repair shop but just 3 wks ago I took it in because it was slow on start-up - they said it was an unrepairable corrupt hard drive - new hard drive was $275.00. They cloned my old hard drive on to the new one - now I'm beginning to wonder if the Trojan was hidden on the old hard drive & causing the problem. Only other thing I changed was removed AVG 2014 and downloaded the 2015 version shortly before this started happening.

I'm too scared to even start up my laptop at the moment until I can either find a fix or figure out if this is an AVG bug. (Fired up a second-hand I-pad to do this).

Thanks for reading.
bluesfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote