View Single Post
Old 07-08-2015, 09:50 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi caroline,

Pockets are the spaces between the teeth and the gums. The deeper the pocket depth the more bacteria it can hold and the more difficult it is to clean it out. There are 6 places around each tooth that can be measured in millimeters and the depths measuring 0-3 mm hold little bacteria. Anything greater than a 3mm is considered a concern as the deeper the pocket the more bacteria it will hold. Frequently in people who have had periodontal disease, the gum recedes which actually shortens the depth of the pocket. However, the recession also exposes the root surface. So in those cases it is imperative to keep the exposed surfaces very clean as they are vulnerable and prone to tooth decay and plaque accumulation.

Pits and fissures are grooves in the biting/chewing surfaces of the teeth. They are the bumpy indentations that you see on those surfaces. In some people these grooves are shallow and in others they are deep.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline2 View Post
Thanks Bryanna for your comments, we are in a lot of agreement. I know the grape seed ex keeps my gums tight. As I said above, I was told I had pockets, are these the same as fissures? Well, pockets are history and I know it's the grape seed ex. I don't eat raisins much but when I do it's organics. I keep them on hand to add to things.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote