View Single Post
Old 07-08-2015, 07:01 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
Dear Kitt,

I guess I did not expound enough on the differences between fat and muscle.

I should have added the word "volume". Fat and muscle have a different molecular structure.

Dave is so much better at expressing things than I am. YES, 5 pounds of sugar is exactly the same weight as 5 pounds of flour. Also, 5 pounds of fat weighs the same as 5 pounds of muscle.

If one exchanges 5 pounds of fat for 5 pounds of muscle, the scale will not change. 5 pounds is 5 pounds and will always weigh 5 pounds.

A sack of feathers does NOT weigh the same as a sack of bricks.

I totally agree that muscle burns more calories than fat.

I guess we were not talking about the same things. Are we talking actually pounds on a scale, or volume, or calories?

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused but I believe that a person that has replaced 5 pounds of fat with 5 pounds of muscle will still have the same number show on the scale. Again, 5 pounds IS 5 pounds no matter what comprises the 5 pounds. BUT, if one is replacing 3 cubic inches of fat with 3 cubic inches of muscle, the scale will show the difference. A cubic inch of muscle DOES weigh more than a cubic inch of fat. Muscle has more density.

Maybe Dave can express this better for me. He is gifted in being able to express things well in words. (Far better than me.)
What shouldve been mentioned is that muscle is far dense than volume, and musclewould weight more than fat if covering the same amount of volume.
Neuroproblem is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote