View Single Post
Old 07-09-2015, 10:29 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Lit wrote:

IMO, it appears the biggest issue the OP

^^^Does OP mean the 'other person'?

is facing is that his PN doc is not supportive of his disability claim.

^^^Yes. I found that shocking especially with my clinical history, my current trend of getting worse and the SOLID science of the skin biopsy.

I'm actually really confused by this. Earlier in one of these threads, the OP stated it was his doc that insisted he stop working or he'd cause permanent damage. Was that the same doc or a different doc?

^^^The other doc is a relative. Out of love for me and from his expertise as a doctor of 30 years - this OTHER doc said, "Stop working NOW." I did not want to stop but it was obviously the right thing to do for reasons I have already stated numerous times on this forum.

Should he consider finding a new doc like Echoes suggested? A new doc likely won't have much effect for several months. If the current doc will never be supportive, than the OP will have to accept the delay and move on.

^^^I dread seeing another doc about PN. Why? I have seen many and most have no idea what they are looking at/for. Just ask about any PN patient will tell ya that they had to go through at least 30 docs to find one that could help them. A general neuro is of no help. They only deal with the 'biggies' - ALS, MS, etc. The subspecialty of skeletal-muscular is generally needed to get a proper DX for PN.

^^^This current neuro doc, who has the subspecialty mentioned above, seems in the ball-park at least. At least he is calling a 'spade and spade'. Hearing, "You have small fiber PN is much more comforting than hearing - 'I do not know what is wrong with you. There is nothing I can do to help you." Or, even worse - a subtle or not so subtle . . . .'there is NOTHING wrong with you. You must be crazy..." And my bro said, "OK. So what? Crazy people get PN also . . . If you don't know what it is . . . .send me to somebody that might..." So, I got sent out . . . and they did not know what it was . . . and the cycle continued . . .

^^^I just don't get it . . . yesterday was my third time seeing him since 4/29/15 . . . and each appointment I have been worse off then the previous one. HE is the one that tells me to do LESS physical work (ie. a ten minute bike ride or a ten minute walk) . . . HE is the one that increased my GabaP from 900mgs per day (3 - 300's per day) to the now current dose of 2,400 mgs per day (600 mg 4 times a day). And he increased to the higher dose about six weeks ago. I am getting WORSE, not better . . . in spite of the care I am receiving. YET, he thinks it is mostly in my head . . .If my head get better, my ability to deal with my PN gets better. Yes. I agree. No doubt about that. BUT . . . it doesn't magically make me fall back into the correct ranges on any additional skin biopsies . . . I don't think the best talk therapy in the world is going to magically make my symptoms lessen or disappear . . .

Is the OP seeing a psychiatrist? What is his or her opinion about your mental health claim?[/QUOTE]

***My shrink is quiet. He hasn't given me a straight 'Yeah' or 'Nah'. He did take the two page form from my law firm without question. He scanned over it and told me he would fill it out and get it back to them. He does agree with my neuro that I have been under a tremendous amount of pressure over the last 10 months with only more still to come in the future . . . Although PN was the major reason I took FMLA this school year . . . my shrink is the one that gave me the doctor's note. I did not ask my neuro at the time, because I did not know him at that time. My shrink does agree that I did talk therapy and that it will help me deal better with my PN.

Finally, neuro is only 38 years old. My shrink is about 55 years old. Nothing against young folks . . . but generally speaking - wisdom is something reserved for the more mature in age.

Thanks for reading and sharing and helping. All are appreciated.
canifindagooddr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote