Thread: My yesterday
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2015, 10:24 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimtime View Post
I wonder if marble bone is just the doctor's personal description of osteoporosis?
On quitting cold turkey...I remember my dad used to smoke 4-5 packs a day, developed emphysema, then quit cold turkey when I was about 12. It was rough on him, but my mother helped us understand his jitteriness (is that a word?) and except for one really bad day, he never went back. Don't worry too much about being a "beyotch", you'll probably do better than you give yourself credit for. Sounds like you've already come a long way! Congrats on that! You're certainly not a failure, you've undoubtedly worked very hard to cut back so much already. I've watched various family members struggle with this over the years. I watched my uncle die (literally) from emphysema. It's not pretty. I watched my aunt struggle back and forth with quitting for many years, before she conquered it. It's difficult, but keep trying, you'll get there!!!
I did a little research on marble bone. Similar to osteoporosis in bone fragility, it's actually much more rare and there are 2 types. One is discovered in childhood, the other as an adult. The technical name is osteopetrosis. I suppose it could have been a typo or checking a box that on first glance looked like osteoporosis. Just found it strange that I didn't notice that diagnosis on my chart before the scan. I very clearly have osteoporosis, that was diagnosed a few months ago.

I am so grateful to have you all support me with the quitting thing. I do believe I can...more now than I ever have...I was real close before about 15 years ago, then the doctors gave me a terminal diagnosis for my son. Yeah. Quitting wasn't at the top of my agenda at that point. My oldest & his family are actually flying in on the anniversary of my 2nd son's passing. I fully plan on having quit by the time they arrive. Thank you for your support!
ger715 (07-11-2015)