Thread: Depression
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2015, 10:03 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I like Marks description.

Like others here anxiety and depression has been a big part of recovery. I am finally learning to recognize the spinning wheels...it is amazing how clever it is at disguising itself at times.

I find now I am much more aware of my thoughts, my body movements, how I eat, and why or how fast I am doing something as they can all be clues to anxious behavior.

I am also working very hard at realizing those storm thoughts are just thoughts like any other and not allowing myself to let fear set in. I have often felt I had no control over them, that when they showed up I had to accept them and ride it out so to speak. I tend to start getting scared when they don't go away right away but just this last week or so I have realized it does take time to settle some storms down but they do settle. I need to be willing to be patient and persist in positive thought patterns that allow that to happen. I now try to ignore them and return to the thoughts that they interrupted as well remind myself they have no control over me unless I cede it to them.

For me, I give God credit for making me aware of my anxious behaviors.

Toughest battle I have EVER faced in my life has been the aftermath of this injury. I think with a healthy dose of patience I can actually come out of this a better person for the things learned.

I think it is working as sleep is becoming more dependable the last 2 weeks and I am handling those fierce storms that wake me much better. Worry about being able to handle the next day's work has been a big reason for lack of sleep I think and I have been making major efforts at blocking thoughts of work out when I go home...I tell myself not to allow worry to ruin my time with my wife in the evening.

Sorry about the rambling.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote