View Single Post
Old 07-11-2015, 01:25 PM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Default Alcohol Dementia... At a loss

Hi there,
I'm reaching out to find some advice for my Dad who has alcohol dementia. The issue is that he refuses to believe anything is wrong with him and is starting to get verbally aggressive towards my mother and even other family members, which was never an issue before. He is refusing to see a doctor, will not quit drinking, and is starting to become unhinged.

My mom took him to a psychologist a year ago and he received a cat scan and was told by this doctor that his brain is deteriorating and that he has alcohol dementia and that if he wants to live a fuller and longer life, he needs to quit drinking. He quit drinking for about 6 weeks and relapsed last July. We have all tried talking to him about it recently and even in the last 10 years when he started to drink a lot. He has said that he'll never quit drinking so we are trying to accept this.

But if he is starting to become a little crazy and unstable, what do you do when he refuses help or will not listen to us? He won't join a rehab center either. Nothing is working and we have no idea who to turn to for help anymore. He retired 15 years ago with no plan. He has no money to his name and is living off of my mother and the SS he receives from the government. We are going to take away the car keys soon but how will he react to us when we do that? We are very uneasy with this.

Please help in any way you can. Like I said, we are at a loss.

Thank you very much.
lockwood925 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EnglishDave (07-11-2015)