View Single Post
Old 07-11-2015, 05:56 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

nukuspot,

If you had a deep cleaning around #20 while you still had that root canaled #19, that cleaning would have set off a fire of bacteria from #19. So it was good that you didn't have it!!

The recommendation of the nylon brush indicates that you probably have some irregularity in the gum tissue in that area. This does not mean there is any pathology there. It could just be fibrous or thin gum tissue. Instead of the nylon brush, as that can be irritating, use a rubber gum stimulator to help toughen up the gum. Use it gently and only once a day. Over time the gum tissue firms up and becomes healthy. It's like a an exercise for your gum similar to an exercise to tone up saggy muscles They look like this...
http://www.gumbrand.com/gum-stimulator-600rqa.html

Regarding the measurement of pocket depths.... every dentist or other who measures pockets uses their own technique. So yes the numbers can be different from one office to another. The one common ground is that anything deeper than a 4-5 is evident upon any probing.

Try this regimen for 2 weeks and see if you notice a positive difference. Use the gum stimulator, brush 2 times instead of 3, floss once, water pik gently with very diluted baking soda and scrape your tongue....

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukuspot View Post
Oh I have one last question. I was thinking really hard last night about prior dental care I had. Before I switched to this IAOMT dentist I saw a traditional ADA dentist about 8-9 years ago. I remember him measuring pockets and saying that I had a 5 in that General area. I can't remember exactly which tooth but I know it was the bottom left so I imagine it could have been the 19/20 space. He had said to use a special nylon brush to clean it and if it didn't improve I woukd have to get a deep cleaning. I never used the brush because it didn't fit and made my gum bleed. I did not change anything about my oral hygiene. I never got a deep cleaning and switched dentists soon after because I wanted a more holistic approach. However since I switched to the IAOMT dentist I don't recall the hygienist ever saying I had any pockets. At my last cleaning in April I really listened as they were doing the gum numbers and my whole mouth was 1,2s. That one area was a 3 (between 19/20) but they said that was fine and just to use the water pik.

I know my current dentist does some sort of holistic deep cleaning and I had asked him if I could try it around 19/20 (this was last year when the pain started) but he said no I don't have periodontal disease.

I am wondering about the discrepancy in measurements between the two dentists. I remember the old dentist being concerned looking and trying to wiggle my teeth to see if they were loose and telling me a pocket of 5 is really bad. But then my current dentist says I don't have any gum issues.

Can dentists measure in different ways? Or is it a standard tool they use? Could I still possibly have that pocket there (from the toxic RCT that was there for so long) and that is what is causing the pain?

I am just throwing out any ideas to you because you are so smart.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
nukuspot (07-11-2015)