View Single Post
Old 07-12-2015, 01:12 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catstarks View Post
I had the blood patch done 4 years ago after I had my daughter. It seemed to work very well. 4 years later I am having same headaches again. Do people need second patch after 4 years? That seems to long to need a second
Yes Catstarks, they can leak again, talk to your dr about it if you haven't already!

I had a lumbar puncture on the 2nd of July, by Sunday the 5th I could not move the pain was so extreme from head and stiff shoulders, that afternoon off to ER, had a blood patch, but during the procedure the dr kept asking if I felt any pressure,, no never felt a thing, but the head pain eased up to half of what it was so he considered it a success......

Did ok Monday and Tuesday, resting but still having some head pain, followed up with dr, all seemed ok, then by Wednesday night moree head pain and neck stiffness just like it had never been fixed....so I stay in bed Thursday hoping it will just get better, nope, by Friday morning I was on phone to dr, oh he is out till next week, called place that did the LP, was told to go to ER again an tell them I was there an the dr would meet me there.

Ok, get to ER, the ER dr decides to run every test under the sun on me including a head to toe CT, X-rays you name it, never notified the dr in radiology I was there, (I called and told him) when he was off at 5 pm he came an waited in my room in the ER for 3 hrs waiting for the ER dr to say ok do the blood patch,,,finally he did,,,

this dr did it much more concise than the 1st one, and MUCH slower, it took a good 5 min for him to place the needle, I asked why it took so long when the other dr just jabbed it in,, he laughed and said that is most likely why you are back here, he probably created another leak, I told him I had never felt the "pressure" with the 1st one also,

so he puts the blood in, and the pressure I felt big time this time,, so much I almost passed out from the pain/relief both! pretty sure he did this one right, am resting still, want it to take, but have had very little head pain if any but back very tender from all the poking the past week...follow up with dr on Tuesday.

one thing I did notice going through this, if you record your BP before your lumbar puncture or other procedure,,,,, when I had both leaks, my systolic BP was way higher than my diastolic, as in 128 over 52, and 98 over 45, once the blood patch was done right it returned to normal 112 over 82,, I spoke to another friend whom also has gone through several patches, she said the same thing with the BP, and the first thing she checks..so monitor your BP before and after a procedure an if a leak, your BP will change more than likely.

today stiff neck gone, no head pain and BP back to normal and am staying in bed
pepsidoodles is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote