View Single Post
Old 07-15-2015, 03:39 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpotsky View Post
Hi!

I am a 41 year old female who does not smoke and have had no previous dental problems. I saw the same dentist for 10 years and never had a problem. When he retired his practice was bought out and I continued to go because I liked and trusted the staff that stayed on. My first visit with the new dentist I all of a sudden had 4 cavities! He filled them but one caused me a lot of pain after the numbing wore off. I called and complained to the office manager but never heard back. I did not go to see another dentist for 2 years and dealt with the pain..stupid I know.

I finally broke down and saw a new dentist who was very attentive and informed me I would need a root canal. I had some issues after that and had to see the dentist who informed me that it may be cracked. He ground the surface down so that the tooth would not touch the lower tooth and the pain went away. The dentist then said we should go forward with a crown so I did. I had pain after the crown while eating and chose to ignore it. Two month later I broke down and went back in. A different dentist (mine was out of town) tapped on the tooth and I had EXTREME pain shoot through my tooth and face. The new dentist told me it was cracked and would need to be extracted.

I went back a week later and it was extracted. I was warned that the root was very close to my sinus. It took a very long hour to get the tooth out and it broke in pieces. The dentist informed me that I did in fact have a whole in my sinus now. They took another x-ray post extraction and she though she saw more fragments. She went back in and started scraping inside the hole. She said nope it is just your jaw bone. I was placed on antibiotics. I came back a week later and was in a lot of pain. The dentist found bone fragments and after numbing me she pulled them out. A week later I was back because I was still in a lot of pain. She sent me to an oral surgeon.

The oral surgeon looked at my x-ray and mouth and told me it looks like I was getting over dry socket but that he did not see any infection anymore. I was told I would experience the pressure and pain in the sinus area for about a month.

Well 4 days ago I stated experiencing new shooting pains at the tooth extraction site. I looked in my mouth and saw a white lump pushing against my gum on the side of the extraction site. I had feel and sharp lump with my tongue. I went in today and after an x-ray and 5 minutes with the dentist I was sent on my way. I was told it was new jaw bone forming and that I was healing beautifully. When asked why I still have so much pain that 3 ibprofen can't touch, I was given a shrug and told to come back in two weeks for my normal scheduled cleaning.

PLEASE is this normal? Am I over reacting? Never had issues with my mouth before and this pain is just dragging on and on! Thank you for any input. I am thinking of getting a second opinion.
Ibuprophen is a very weak painkiller, you shouldve been prescribed stronger ones, such as vicodin, or something similar. When i was having pain in a tooth that needed a root canal i was prescribed the much stronger one. Definitely get a 2nd opinion, a trend im noticing in dentistry practices, is theres a different dentist every time, it happens alot in dentists in my area. which builds a poor relationship, thus little understanding of your situation. cavaties can be caused by decalcification, and free high sugar and acidic diets, and of course wear and tear. Dry mouth is also major contributer to cavaties as well.

DRY socket is a result when the clot of the extraction site gets, removed by "sucking motion, or anything hot, cold fluids. you might have to eat a liquid diet until the pain goes away, such as porridge or some very soft foods. you need to be seen right away though.
Neuroproblem is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote