View Single Post
Old 07-15-2015, 07:23 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Supplement interactions

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful View Post
I'm in the US but I take synthroid and I take COQ10 and use to take carnitine. I've never had any issues. I have also never seen any information that states you can't use them with underactive thyroid meds. Can you tell me where you found that information?
I looked at the Mayo Clinic and Web MD as per the following:

Mayo Clinic
Use cautiously in people who have thyroid problems or those taking thyroid agents. CoQ10 may affect thyroid hormone levels and interact with thyroid agents (such as Synthroid®).

Web MD
Under-active thyroid (hypothyroidism): There is some concern that acetyl-L-carnitine might interfere with thyroid hormone. Don’t use acetyl-L-carnitine if you have an under-active thyroid.

I'm just taking this at face value - my husbands thyroid level was very low and he could barely function, so I don't want to take a chance and mess it up. Perhaps they are just being overly cautious?

As for the fish oil - I just meant is there a brand and type you would recommend - we have Natures Bounty, Jamieson etc. But there seem to be so many varieties of the oil itself - straight Fish Oil, Omega 3 etc. I wasn't sure which was the best - would EPA pf 650 and DHA of 500 be acceptable levels for neuropathy?

Thanks, Linda
Lindyloowho1234 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (07-19-2015)