View Single Post
Old 07-15-2015, 09:07 AM
anon122822

anon122822

Default Why it may be a good idea to eat organic foods especially with a recovering brain

Over the past month or so I have taken a keen interest in looking into the role nutrition has in recovering from the issues we suffer as a result of a concussion. Through that research I have fond many people who have suffered brain injuries and had remarkable results from focusing on their nutrition. Each individual is different genetically and biochemically so it would be foolish of me to recommend any one kind of diet as being the end all be all best of the best.

One thing that I did find that is recommendable to everyone no matter the individual is eating organic foods, more specifically fruits and vegetables. There have been many studies looking into the amount of residual pesticides found on conventionally grown fruits and vegetables and there affects on human health. Supposed experts say that the amount found on these foods is able to be processed and eliminated by the liver. What they are not accounting for is the vast amount of these chemicals we are intaking every single day. When these chemicals get tested to be qualified to be used they are tested individualy. We do not account for how the liver will be able to process having 10s or 100s of these different chemicals every day.

For us that have brain injuries it is especially important to not be intaking these. many of these chemicals are neurotoxic which means that they essentially destroy brain cells. I dont know about you but i would prefer to not have anything that can cause harm to my already fragile brain inside my body.

For example. Strawberries are a commonly eaten fruit. When conventionally grown they are known to contain 45 different pesticides. 6 are known carcinogens, 16 are hormone disruptors, 7 are Neurotoxins, 6 are developmental or reproductive toxins, and 6 are bee toxins. They are found in varying rates with the highest frequency of one pesticide being found on 55 percent of the strawberries.

I would link sources but im to new to the site to be allowed to do that i think. Also im by no means an expert on this topic. I simply think that it is something that should be thought about, especially when trying to heal the brain.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote