Thread: Some queries
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2015, 03:09 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Amit,

I read the report and watched the news and the video. I still feel there are some things not being disclosed. I can only speculate what they might be.

For a child or any dental patient to appear to suddenly "go to sleep in the chair" does not necessarily mean they are "sleeping". Sometimes patients pass out, they faint, while in the chair. This will cause their body to go limp. Some dentists will not see this as a problem because as long as the patient is breathing okay and their airway is not blocked they will eventually come out of it okay. Other dentists will stop what they are doing and force the patient to regain consciousness. I have seen this occur both ways. When the patient does come to, they are either wide eyed or groggy. It depends on the situation. So this is what may have occurred with this child and the father became alarmed and the dentist didn't. Whether or not she had an allergic reaction to the anesthetic in addition to fainting, or just had an allergic reaction... hopefully the toxicology report will be able to show whether she had an allergic reaction or not.

If the dentist used pure nitrous oxide on this little girl, even only a few puffs of but just enough to put her out... then that would account for her suddenly sleeping and going limp. That would also account for her suddenly awakening. Nitrous oxide can have odd affects on people.

When the father became alarmed, the dentist should not have pushed his concerns aside. If anything he should have checked the girl's vitals and if they were okay then reassured the father. However, he seem to think nothing was wrong. When the girl was obviously not okay after the procedure, the dentist should have checked her vitals and administered CPR immediately if she was not breathing.

There is no emergency medical ICU set up in dental offices in the US. All dental offices are required to have an operating oxygen tank and oxygen masks in the office and the dentist and dental staff are CPR certified and know how to perform CPR. They also by law have to have an emergency kit that contains things like epinephrine, glucose, nitro glycerin, etc. You don't need any equipment for CPR other than your mouth to breathe into the patients mouth and 2 hands to do chest compressions. Anytime that needs to be done on someone, as the person is doing the resuscitation another person calls 911 or the emergency squad to come to the aid immediately.

I think once all of the facts are told, this reason this occurred will then be evident. Until then, what occurred is just speculation based on the facts told so far.

I assume this family will pursue this until they know the cause...? I sure hope so.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitsa View Post
Bryanna,

As per her father's account, when anasesthesia was given ,she first behaved unusually for a min and went into sleep. The dentist continued to drill the tooth in that state. Her father was beside the chair. He asked the dentist why is she not waking. The dentist said it is normal . After sometime ,the girl opened her eyes suddenly. She seemed to be in a state of shock and confused. Her eyes were dilated. She quickly closed her eyes ,never to open them again. When her father asked, the dentist continued to say in a very callous attitude 'All this is normal.She will wake up. Please take her home
or if you are in doubt to a paediatrician'.

Her father further added that the dentist did not even budge from his chair. He personally took her to the paediatrician who was luckily available next door. The paediatrician tried to resuscitate her but to no effect.

It is not just what has gone wrong that matters. The father said the dentist behaved as if nothing unusual happened. The attitude of the dentist was as if he was not involved in it.

The dentists in India do not have any ICU like set up or any resuscitation apparatus with them. They only have dental drugs with them.

My question is -

Do the dentists in USA have an emergency bed, oxygen support,ventilator,resuscitation apparatus etc (ICU like set up) in their clinic in case such an incident occurs ?

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote