View Single Post
Old 07-15-2015, 07:13 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi cpotsky,

It is not uncommon for a dentist to tell a new patient that they have cavities, especially when that person's dentist has retired. Which usually indicates that the dentist was an older person and perhaps not as diagnostic as maybe they once had been. This is a common occurrence and people of course will question the new dentist because they trusted their original one.

In your case, based on your description of what occurred with this tooth there was evidently a deep and/or moderate cavity and/or a fracture in this tooth that had not been diagnosed by your original dentist. The new guy attempted to remove the cavity and restore the tooth and may or may not have realized it was fractured. However, the newest dentist who did the root canal tooth may have known it was fractured when he did the rc because he could have gotten abnormal movement with the tooth when instrumenting it. Taking the tooth out of occlusion is just a temporary measure and have no long term benefit when a tooth is fractured. At that point there was no reason to crown it because a root canaled tooth with a fracture is beyond repair.

The back and forth with the dentist who extracted the tooth indicates she probably does not perform too many extractions and she may have caused some splintering of the buccal ridge along the gum line. That can occur when either the tooth is badly infected and/or if too much force or an improper technique was used to remove the tooth. Sometimes the splintered bone will fill in and sometimes little pieces of it will protrude from the gum and either fall out on their own or need to be removed. They can cause the area to feel quite sore and achey. In the future if needed, it's usually best to see an oral surgeon for tooth extractions especially root canaled teeth.

It is not wise to have your teeth professionally cleaned until the extraction site closes because debris can end up in the socket. In the meantime it is important to keep your mouth very clean, by brushing, flossing, and tongue scraping. What did the oral surgeon have to say about the sinus opening?

Bryanna
Thank you so much for your response! I have to say that I think it is wonderful that you are here and so willing to communicate with people when they are so distressed! I think you are amazing because I know this is taking a lot of your time but you are helping so many.

Anyway, the OS said my sinus appeared fine and that if I smelled something bad or tasted something bad then I would know I had an infection in my sinus. He really only spent 5 minutes with me also. It really makes me feel that I'm being overly dramatic. I feel like I should just deal with it but other people tell me that I should not being feeling this kind of pain for so long.

I am starting to feel that I should never have gone back to the dentist as this pain is worse than before I had the root canal. I can handle pain because I did for the two years before since the filling but this new pain is totally distracting and horrible.

Well, tomorrow I am seeing another dentist and maybe she can enlighten me a little more than my last dentist. I just feel that a professional should not rush a patient out the door if they have concerns.
cpotsky is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote