View Single Post
Old 07-15-2015, 07:50 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hey everyone. I was wondering was all of your symptoms were. I am 29 years old. I am a fire fighter in Charlotte nc. On December 1st I feel out of an attic while fighting fire. I caught myself and hung by my right arm. I dislocated my shoulder and basically hung by the nerves and muscles. The shoulder popped back in and I was talked into going to the er. Xray showed nothing so a shot and I went home. I was assigned to light duty and over the next week started developing numbness and tingling in my hand along with severe pain in in the shoulder. I had a mri two weeks later showed a small tear in the labrum and rotator. I did therapy for two months. The pain was now going from the top of my neck to outside of my shoulder. Along with the numbness all 90 percent of the time and nothing made any of it better.

I switched doctors in February of 14. He was an ortho The first as appointment he said it was nerve damage and order emg. It showed damage but they never told me what was. He did surgery in march. He cut my shoulder blade, repaired labrum, and cleaned rotator. That didn't help and he sent me to a neurologist. In September I saw a doctor at wake forest Baptist who wrote studies on brachial plexus injuries. He ordered another emg. Results showed no damage but they didn't do all of the nerves.

Also by this time I had severe drooping in my shoulder. I had been doing therapy for 6 months and was so unable to lift one lb and hardly any Rom. He did another surgery for brachial plexus neuropathy. He found tendons really tight on the nerves so he stretched them. It was a two hour surgery.

That was in October since the surgery I have had no improvement with 7 months of therapy, I have no Rom, in front or to the side, no lifting at all. I have developed migraines only on the right side of my head. I saw a neurologist in January did an mri of my neck which didn't show anything. He said they were coming from the injury. I just saw my surgeon again and he says her is nothing else they can do. That I well never be able to work again.

I have researched the eden Lange surgery in hopes of pulling my shoulder back into place. He did say that along with the brachial plexus neuropathy that I also have spinal accessory neuropathy. I feel that if my shoulder lifted back into place the brachial nerves would heal from the stretch of the shoulder droop. He said it wouldn't work because I didn't have bad enough scapular winging.

I'm 29 and hate the thought of losing my career of 10 years and not being able to have a normal lift. I have 3 small kids that I can't lift. So I'm considering driving to see the Dr Hawkins who does the youtube of eden Lange. I just was hoping to see if my issues with the dripping and pain may relate to yall before going.

Thanks for reading and any advise would be appreciated. Stike
firefighterstike is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote