View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 09:57 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Life after TBi ??

I've been wondering how other's are dealing w/ PCS and Life after TBi.
It's good to hear about progress--of Nancy's son but the regressions, resurfacing PCS problems is sad, and familiar. As Donna has shared she's improved but symptoms have persisted. the relization of being different, changed in ways that are difficult to express, for many to understand, that may never be same as before head injury is a reality bite-

Hit hard yesterday after I was assessed for a traumatic brain injury program. After the exhaustive interviews by nurse & program co-orrdinator, I became so aware of my issues & problems stemming from TBi , I cried & cried. I know I've not been the same since TBi. I try to deal w/ issues, but to have so much put on the table for all to see & know.... put into a different perspective for me , that Overwhelmed...

I was making progress, then regressed. Felt "stuck". So call went out for help-will see what this program may offer me & my family. Because it's state [funded ] involves long process of assessments/interviews by various agencies, med professionals, etc. that will take several weeks just to find out IF qualify. Meanwhile.... try to get on w/ Life....

I've been doing research on TBi, to learn more, for understanding what was going on so would not be so at affect of; also to pursue most appropriate treatments, interventions, support, advocacy.

I have learned much...that every Brain & injury is different.

Many do heal- well & quickly- research indicates majority of mild head injury/concussions resolve.
but some experience persisting, and even devasting affects in many areas of Life-changes in personality; cognitive, perceptual, emotional problems--that affect family, social, work & personal functions.

Organic damage can show up as depression; headaches; visual, hearing or hormonal disturbances; bowel or bladder control--soon after injury or weeks, months later, based on severity, location, area of brain injured. TBi is unique....presenting diversity of challenges to professionals & all affected; Familys, loved ones like Nancy intimately know this.

All head injurys differ-in severity, manifestations & recovery process. "Mild" TBi seems to be more misunderstood, with multiple diverse symptoms that are often not easily recognizable; diagnostic difficulties, delays in treatments (or none) and if/ when persists.... crazy making...

Some of us , inc. DRs & other professionals, know that even "mild" head injury can be seriously disabling, that Life can- does change after TBi and we aren't the same as before.

My Hx of traumatic brain injury-several in 10 years-complicated; last injury 6 mths ago & post concussive syndrome symptoms that persist are disabling for me. my Life changed after first TBi but now ....
I'm experiencing many of the problems addressed --Cognitive, perceptual; visual; headaches; bladder control, even depression appear to be "organic" (may also be psychogenic compoments ) but last injury was Left side of Brain.

[per research] Damage to left side of brain results in depletion of monamin neurotransmitters (seratonin, dopamin, etc) resulting in insomnia w/ sleep debt & fatigue {my big complaint} and perhaps lowered Thyroid hormone and overproduction of stress hormone Cortisol.
Insomnia blocks replenishment of "feel good " hormones. These & other TBI "stressors' all contribute to depression and poor memory by atrophy of Hippocampus-the memory center of brain.... there is more -research that validates [some] things that change Life afer Tbi...

My Life is different; each of us affected by TBi goes thru a unique process. Education & support are essential. I wish all -the best.

Last edited by pono; 06-21-2007 at 10:01 AM. Reason: typo s
pono is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote