View Single Post
Old 07-17-2015, 10:08 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I had my annual physical yesterday, and after grilling me on what I was eating and drinking to make sure I was doing things right, my doctor had no explanation for why my A1c didn't drop. As you'd mentioned, MrsD, some diabetics I consulted with said that if I'm eating too much protein, my liver will convert excess into glucose. That's not something I'm monitoring at all, so I'll have look at how much I should be getting, and compare it to the reality. I'm definitely much heavier on the protein than I ever have been.

As I expected, there was a discussion about both my LDL and triglycerides which increased significantly from last year. The triglycerides were still within normal reference range, but I still need to try to understand why they more than doubled. I know they're very sensitive to what you've eaten in the week prior, but I don't remember eating anything hateful before this blood draw.

We had the discussion about bad LDL and benign LDL which I initiated, and she asked if I wanted to get the more refined test to check my LDL particle count to distinguish between the two. I think it will run about $100, and am still trying to decide whether I want to do that or not. I know I can bring my LDL down by just backing off on the saturated fat which would be the path of least resistance, and then just re-check the regular panel in 6 months.

She did at one point ask, "Do you want to take something to bring it down?" She knows I'm not a pill-popper and would decline, but I got the feeling she was obligated to ask. I'm sure "offered and refused" went into her notes.

I wish I had asked for her honest opinion on statins. It would have been interesting to hear her answer.

Last edited by janieg; 07-17-2015 at 10:30 AM.
janieg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (07-26-2015)