View Single Post
Old 07-17-2015, 10:52 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

[QUOTE=RidingRollerCoaster;1135483]Thank you. What do you mean by "after vestibular therapy showed I definitely was dizzy (more like drunk feeling) blonde."? Why did you have to go to vestibular therapy to show that you are dizzy? I was referred to vestibular therapy because I am dizzy all the time (not spinning, but off balance and wonky and weird vision).

How did the ENT figure out it is a fistula? Please keep us posted and let us know how it turns out and what it helps with.

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. To answer your questions:
During vestibular therapy, they put you in a sensitive machine and attach a harness to you. The machine has sensors that your feet stand on and give feedback to the computer about where your center of gravity is. Then the machine makes the floor move and the walls move and tests how you balance yourself and can then give readings to determine whether you are dealing with a vestibular issue or visual issue or proprioception issue. It's a really interesting machine.

I, like you, felt dizzy all the time, like everything was in constant motion and that my eyes were trying to adjust constantly to the my surroundings. My vestibular therapist thought my ear should be looked at as a possibility for my unsteadiness.

I got a doctor who was amazing, but I was also quite anxious and at first he thought I just had pcs. Then he tested my left ear with a burst of air and my vision darted and I got nauseas.

That's when he diagnosed it as a fistula and I underwent surgery. He repaired a broken Stapes bone that must've broken in my initial accident and reorganized the bones in my inner ear. He also used a skin graft that he took from around my hair line to use as a bandaid to repair the leak. I noticed significant improvement!

My tinnitus lessened, the nystagmus almost completely disappeared, my balance returned and my ability to just be in my environment returned. Unbelievable! Essentially my life returned! He gave me the environment where I could now officially begin healing.

I still experience some vision problems and have to address those but as far as unsteadiness and dizziness- they are gone! Some days they will return momentarily, and he mentioned it would take time, but for the most part the fistula was the cause of a myriad of my symptoms.

Having that fixed had freed me to focus on my life and healing other parts that linger from the PCS like anxiety.

I feel very lucky and hope you can get some good news with your dizziness.

Therapy: Vision therapy to improve focal and ambient systems Neuropsychological testing and treatment Vestibular therapy Gabapentin 1800mgs/daily Clonazapam when needed

Natural Therapy and Supplements: Brain breaks every 2 hours Meditation GABA 1000 mcgs B12 1000 mcgs Niacin 3000-5000 mgs (this has significantly helped with brain fog, mood control, and depression) Nordic Naturals Fish Oil 2000mgs Potassium Multi V Glucosamine 5HTP Vitamin D 1500mgs

"Your True Self contains Every Possibility"
-Deepak Chopra
=}
[/SIZE]
ilikepolkadots is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote