View Single Post
Old 07-18-2015, 12:40 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Have you started it at 2mg already?

OK, so when my son was little he was treated with this medication for a number of years (at a much smaller dose most of that time. The max dose he got to was 2mg). Had severe tics, obsessive compulsive behaviours, anxiety and basically was having an extremely difficult time to the point of disabled and at that point in time it was suggested he be placed in a hospital and I refused to allow that. This is going back 17 years or so now when unfortunately it was prescribed for children who had multiple conditions as well as autism and/or tourette syndrome.

It's really important that you read up on this medication if you're going to accept it because it can have serious side effects. I don't want to give you horror stories about it because I'm just a regular person, but I saw how it affected his mental state and it was not good. It also caused weight gain and it was extremely difficult to get off. He has since told me as an adult that during those years he was not a "sentient being"... his words not mine. Makes me so sad just thinking about it.

As it turned out later my son had not been diagnosed properly and he was in fact on Autism spectrum. Once he got the diagnoses sorted, he went off that medication and we learned new ways to deal with everything else and he thrived.

It just seemed really odd to me that your doctor would prescribe Risperidone for anxiety.

http://www.janssenpharmaceuticalsinc.../risperdal.pdf
Prescribing Information Risperdal - Risperidone.

Edited to add: Usually a doctor will perform an ECG/EKG before starting a neuroleptic drug. I think you've had recently? I may be wrong.
Then there is one done every 6 months or so from memory. That's to rule out a condition that affects the heart called long QT syndrome.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chris2828 (07-18-2015)