Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspirations View Post
Hello,

I'm new here, and will try to make this short as possible.

I've had lumbar and cervical issues for a while, with pain. But as I've gotten much older, 71, I have little pain. I also have polyneuropathy and a few other things. I went to my neurologist in early June with off-balance problems and my legs, individually, giving out. My left leg completely gave way and didn't come back for several minutes, which scared me.
Also, I had what I call wrist drop, individually, with both arms--comes and goes. Issue with legs is very sporadic, except for off-balance which is almost daily. So, my neuro had me have lumbar and cervical MRIs. When they came back, he felt I should see a neurosurgeon.

When I saw the neuro, all he had was my lumbar MRI, which was abnormal.

Severe left neural foraminal stenosis at L4-L5 secondary to herniated disc along with degenerative and hypertrophic changes of the facet joint.

Right paracentral herniated disc with compression of the S1 nerve root at L5-Sl.

Severe degenerative dis disease at L4-5 and L5-S1.

He said he'd seen worse, but he was concerned about my being off-balance and made me close my eyes and stand, wherein I kept leaning backward. He asked the neurologist for my cervical, since he wasn't sure if it was the polyneuropathy or my neck. That was June 30. I have yet to hear back from him, though I've called three times. I got my cervical report from the neurologist.

Cervical:

Had flattening and splaying of the cord at C5-C6, among other things.

Impression:
1. Cervical spondylosis multifactorial from C3-C4 through C6-C7.
2. Disc spur complex at C4-5 resulting in some central cord stenosis and moderate to severe left neural foraminal stenosis.
3. Diffuse disc protrusion with moderate to severe left neural foraminal stenosis at C5-C6.
4. Left paracentral herniated disc at C6-C7.
5. Severe degenerative dis disease at C4-C5, C5-C6, C6-C7.
6. Retrolisthesis at several levels most prominent of C5 on C6 and C6 on C7, likely degenerative in nature.
7. Normal signal within the spinal cord.

Question: How serious is this? I'm in no pain right now, only the leg give way and off-balance problem. I did have what felt like nerve pain in my legs for one day, very painful, but it stopped.

Thanks for any help. Sorry it's so long.
I bolded some things to read up on, and ask dr about.