View Single Post
Old 07-18-2015, 05:37 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

BreezyRacer,

First, let me say that as I see it, it's a terrible shame that you live in a society that for whatever reason leaves you writing that you "see no good in getting diagnosed at this point". Not only does this mean that you are unsure whether you have PD, but it leaves you unable to access prescription drugs.

On the substantive issue, soccertese in a thread two years ago referenced a paper which lists natural MAO-B inhibitors:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3521852/

On the issue of whether you would notice the effect of a MAO-B inhibitor, it is worth noting that 1mg of rasagiline does the job and there's no marginal benefit from increasing the dose.

Roughly speaking 1mg of rasagiline has an integrated benefit equivalent to 100mg of levodopa. But, since it is active for approximately 24hr as opposed to the 3-4 hours of levodopa, the intensity is much less: 100/24 cf. 100/3. Or put another way, I'd estimate that including one's own dopamine production, which continues until late in the disease, a person probably needs about the equivalent of 2000mg levodopa per day. With this in mind you're unlikely to notice any impact from rasagiline.

I've taken 1mg of rasagiline per day for the last 8 years. I've had no problems with it. I see its constant effect, as opposed to the up and down effect of levodopa, as an asset.

John
johnt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote