View Single Post
Old 07-18-2015, 08:30 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

"And I always thought the temple was a spot were if you touch or pressed on or in my case tapped it could cause a concussion. "

A concussion is a severe shaking of the brain matter inside the skull. If the skull is not moved violently, there is no shaking of the brain matter.

The temple is plenty strong. Touching or pressing on the temple or any other part of the skull will not cause any kind of injury to the skull or the brain inside the skull. I doubt you could even bruise the skin unless you nicked the skin with your fingernail.

You can put more pressure against the skull by pressing than you can by tapping. Pushing is a continuous muscle force. Tapping is a momentary force. The muscles used for a tapping action are very small. The mass of the finger is very small so there is minimal energy transmitted to the skull.

It takes about 10 G's for the brain to even sense an impact. That would be like your finger lifting 80 pounds at its tip. One finger can barely lift 8 pounds without risking damage to that finger or the tendons.

The minimum threshold for a concussion is believed to be 50 to 60 G's. Many can tolerate well over 100 G's without suffering a concussion.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote