View Single Post
Old 07-19-2015, 02:46 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Speech therapy is entirely different than talk therapy. Talk therapy would be with a CBT or other therapist who helps you with how you think about issues that cause you anxiety. Speech therapy is for memory issues and how they may effect your ability to speak. Word finding strategies, memorization skills, etc.

Anxiety meds usually work best when combined with talk therapy, the "How does that make you feel" kind or "When this thought arises, try to think this......"

Speech therapy is for rehabilitating neurological function.
Talk therapy is for psychological issues.

100 mgs of 5-HTP is a light to moderate dose. You can take twice that in most cases.

I also have to prepare for sleep two hours before bed. No discussions with my wife. No stimulating TV. I use mind numbing TV to settle my mind and get it off any thoughts that might cause anxiety. If I go to bed and these thoughts arise and my mind starts 'thinking,' I need to get up and start the process over. I do better losing an hour starting over because the restless sleep I would get with a thinking mind will be worthless.

I have dealt with PCS and PTSD insomnia for 15+ years. It takes discipline to get good sleep.

Early in my struggles, I spent many nights sleeping in my recliner with the TV one, maybe with a music video/DVD playing. I use headphones with a volume control to listen to TV and would turn the volume down as things got quiet. There are cordless headphones that recharge on a stand. Sony makes a good set but they are pricey.

My mind wants to be active continuously so I have to have something safe to focus on. It depends on the time of day as to what is safe. At night, it needs to be very low key. Think of the excitement of watching golf. Enough to occupy your mind but not enough to need to stay awake.