View Single Post
Old 07-19-2015, 05:30 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I thought I'd throw this out there as I've experienced this personally. At 16 months post-concussion my benefits provider (e.g. disability) decided that my physician/health team was not doing enough. After explaining to them about my situation/limitations, they subsequently emailed me a direct quotation from my benefits contract essentially saying I was required to participate fully in my recovery or would face suspension of disability payments.

Following this, Sun Life called to inform me that I had two choices: i. I could engage in a more active recovery involving bi-weekly meetings with an OT, or ii. I could opt out and have my benefits suspended.

Needless to say, I was upset and ruminated on this strong-arming tactic excessively for months (and continue to). The increased activity levels since this call, though some it has been helpful, has put me in a downwards spiral with many more steps backwards than forwards.

My point to this is that, at least in my case, my activity level has been greatly impacted by Sun Life who feels they know more about my recovery than I do. That is, I don't necessarily have a choice. I hope others have not faced a similar situation, but I suspect they have.
MicroMan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote