View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Roxie,

The good news is they have found a likely cause for your neuropathy and they can treat this. They can, if they need to give vitamins IV, but, that is a last resort.

You may have to do some homework here and find out what you are malabsorbing, and how to best get it in your system. I would love to tell you the medical system is well prepared regarding nutrition, but they are not. I can't give you a reliable source for guidance, as your case is unique. That is the problem with many drugs out there as well as surgeries. Many drugs interfere with absorption of nutrients as well as surgeries.

Nutrition is one of the most ignored areas of western medicine.

Don't fret over what was, concentrate on what is and what is to be.

Good nutrition is a battle for me too, as I get bouts of gastroparesis, have hypoglycemic unawareness, and usually not a good appetite. It sounds like you need supplementation over and above the usual. If your stomach is the problem then they had better figure out what the right route is for absorption. Your doctors should be able to find you a resource or check the net for a good, reputable nutrition consult.

Then you need to make every calorie count for nutrition and that is hard...it is good juice instead of diet soda. It is veggie or fruit juice. It is a protein drink if I can't eat meat that day, or an egg. For me a multiple vit is still OK, plus a few other things I take, but, that may not apply to you. To feel half way decent, I have to put a lot of thought, work and energy into eating and exercise of some sort....and it is hard work. I envy people who whip up delicous food...I generally have to sit on a stool to cook, as standing up gets me hypotensive.

I am a big proponent of yogurt, lol.

When you make decisions regarding surgeries you do it with the info you have at the time. I am sure there are many things we all would not do again, and we can't cry over spilled milk ....I can tell you I would never have another selective spinal nerve root block...it totally botched up my spine.... but it wasn't intended to do that, so, it is a consequence of a procedure meant to help.

Like David said, you need to make lifestyle changes and those are difficult to make, but they are doable. You may even be lucky enough to experience some healing and restoration of function if you feed those nerves and use them. You have an 'enemy' to fight, and a way to do it....go girl!

You just reminded me to make a trip to the kitchen for a healthy snack...thank you!
cyclelops is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote