View Single Post
Old 07-21-2015, 12:16 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Shocked BEWARE!! Ice Breakers new Cool Blast Mints:

Here is the story of a terrible event that happened to me last week.

http://www.hersheys.com/icebreakers/...ppermint-Chews

These looked interesting to me, esp the package which I could possibly recycle for a mini-watercolor palette..homemade. They are advertising them on TV lately.

So we got a peppermint one...very pricey I might add.

The dark blue plastic wrap has black printing on it, so you cannot really read anything clearly on the back. But hidden there near the bottom is a warning about some people getting burning mouth or throat with them. This warning does not seem to be on the website.

I had one last Wednesday, and by chance had a sip of water after. The initial experience was certainly a "blast" but not anything to worry about. When I swallowed the water, I had a massive reaction....like an ice cream brain freeze...only 10 times worse! I couldn't catch my breath!

So what happened then? Well my whole inner GI tract from the throat down, esophagus, stomach and intestines started to throb and vibrate. It took about 12 hours to bloom thru my whole GI tract. I had endless belching, pain, I couldn't eat for 2 days! Severe nausea. Lying in bed was total agony... the internal vibrations were severe and unending!

So I searched the net...and found that high dose menthol, is not indicated for those with hiatal hernia (oooopssss I have that), as it paralyzes GI movement and the stomach can get stuck in your chest where it doesn't belong! I really thought I was going to have to go the hospital and have surgery for this!

Many people have a hiatal hernia...and many don't even know it.
It is quite common. So I am here to warn those with sensitive stomaches, GERD, hiatal hernia, or any inflammatory bowel problem to avoid this candy. It is way too strong, and I think most people will miss the hidden medical warning on these mints (I did read the ingredients-- the first one is Xylitol). Some people are posting this alarming reaction, esp in the mouth, on the Amazon reviews now. But those people consumed more than one mint in a day.
I only had one... and it was my LAST. I've dumped my mints in the trash, but the slide out container just may be helpful for me.

There are mentions on the net about "menthol allergy" and I'd expect those folks to really react to these mints too.

So BEWARE and take care!

P.S. Hershey's is really doing a number on their consumers. Putting the laxative PGPR (an emulsifier to replace the expensive cocoa butter) in their chocolate and sorbitol in their non diabetic candies and kisses. Now this.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chemar (07-21-2015), DejaVu (07-21-2015), EnglishDave (07-21-2015), Jomar (07-21-2015), Kitty (07-21-2015), Lara (07-21-2015), Littlepaw (07-21-2015), shelbie4u (11-11-2015)