Thread: just diagnosed
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2015, 02:06 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janieg View Post
Hi Phil,

Sorry you find yourself here, but welcome. You've found a wonderful place to learn and get support. You'll hear from a bunch of helpful people, but I'll ask you my "mantra" question right away...

What tests did they use to screen you for diabetes? Sometimes diabetic neuropathy shows up before the diabetes does in bloodwork, and because 60% - 70% of all diabetics will develop neuropathy, it has to be looked at very closely. It's pretty general consensus here that cutting back on sugar and processed carbs is a good thing to do regardless. Right away, start thinking about your diet.

And your B12? Did they test that?

You seem to be experiencing "brain fog." When my symptoms were really bad, I had that. It's like my brain just wasn't working right. Try not to panic about it. I think it's relatively common with SFN.

I have the weird thing in my temples as well. Do you have any known neck problems? My neck is a mess, and I think my SFN is just opportunistic and exacerbates those issues giving me weird sensations in my head which is where I normally experience symptoms from my neck. I used to just get headaches, now it's all this other stuff too. I sometimes feel like I have electric current running from my right temple down under my right eye.

You'll hear about a lot of supplements that can help. I'll tell you the ones that I'm absolutely convinced helped me... Alpha Lipoic Acid in its more bioavailable form called RLA, and quality omega 3s. (fish oil) These two things have been found to be protective to nerves in research studies, and I do believe they've helped me.

Hang in there. You'll get a lot of help from the forum.

Janie
Thanks Janie for your help.
I have only had blood tests over the last year for diabetes and nothing for B12.
But I meet with my GP next Thursday week to go over the Neurologists report.
I can't but wonder how bad my mobility will get. Got notice today that my PET scan is in 2 months.
Thanks again Janie
PhilfromOz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
janieg (07-22-2015)