Thread: I'm so scared
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2015, 08:08 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

If you were able to get accepted into college, your brain is working fine.

I've played with Fit Brains. I'm not impressed. Human benchmark is similar. There are plenty of variables that can influence your scores.

If you did not have access to this online information about concussions and memory skills, you would not have this anxiety. There needs to be a new term, cyber anxiety. That would be the anxiety from being able to find too much information that can be taken out of context. With smart phones and laptops enabling us to look up everything, it is easy to find a scary explanation for just about any event. Just think, nobody posts about the many thousands of times where that same event did not end up a catastrophe.

For example "Reading articles about permanent damage from only one or two hits was enough to scare me big time, especially since I'm about to start college." Yes, a very small number of people do experience permanent brain damage for just one or two concussions. But, research suggests there are a few million concussions reported to a doctor each year. There are likely many times that many never reported. The concussions with lasting damage are using suffered in violent car wrecks.

You have a greater risk riding in a car or crossing the street or worse yet, climbing a ladder. If you want to have a safe college experience, stay away from alcohol. The college years are made dangerous by alcohol.

I'd suggest you look at health risk statistics to put this in perspective but then you would be afraid to leave the house. I've done research into health and death statistics. Getting a concussion with lasting symptoms does not even make the list.

So, go on and live your life. Life is too short to live it in anxiety.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SamG11 (07-23-2015)