View Single Post
Old 07-24-2015, 01:25 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Sleep disruption is pretty common after TBI. For most people, the problem will resolve.

Sadly, I'm among the minority left with a, seemingly, permanently altered sleep pattern. I have trouble falling asleep and never sleep more than a few hours without waking.

I am not a fan of sleeping pills and remain unconvinced of their efficacy for the brain injured. Some people report that Melatonin is helpful. However, my doctor warned against long term use. I'm no expert on the stuff, but maybe Mark or Mrs. D will weigh in.

You can help yourself by having good sleep hygiene: avoid alcohol and caffeine; give yourself time to wind down and relax before you go to bed; try to stick to a bedtime and a bedtime routine, make sure you have a good neck pillow and rest in a quiet, cool, dark room.

Be attentive to other health issues that might be disrupting your rest. Perhaps, like me, you have pain from other injuries. Many TBI patients wrestle with anxiety and/or depression, both thieves of sleep. Sleep apnea can also be a problem for some .

I was a great sleeper before my MVA. I sure miss that.
Good Luck
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (07-24-2015), SamG11 (07-26-2015)